Chris Watson interview:
- Media tech as Watson described as ‘seeing/sensing’
- Acquisition before application- develop a library.
- Relation between technology and creation
- Listening is creative not passive.
- Listening vs. hearing
- Noise pollution is distractive.
- We are stopping ourselves from listening and find it hard to engage with an environment.
- Perspective- sound is relational (wide and narrow perspective)
- Multi channel sounds.
- Wide angle and fixed sound in mono.
- Seeing and sensing not perspective or expressing.
- Change our world by shaping what we collect through audio
NOTE: When using equipment:
– We hear in the range of 20hz-20khz
– 44.1khz is cd quality
– Whole human hearing is the perfect medium for sound.
– 16bits- resolution of audio
– Maximise signal to noise ratio
– We are trying to use all the resolution to record the sound.
– We need to fill the dynamic range without it clipping